HELLO FALL FLAVOURS! I took a break from the pumpkin (hard to imagine I know haha) and made these delish Maple Salted Caramel Apple Spice Donuts!
I am a huge fan of apple fritters- trust me when I say that these are 100x better. These donuts turn out super moist and have just the right amount of fall spice but if I’m being honest the REAL secret to these donuts is the maple flakes- ever heard of em’? Maple flakes are 100% dehydrated maple syrup- when baked into these donuts they melt and help to create a gooey sweet texture. Maple flakes may be hard to find but I picked mine up at @bulkbarnfoods.
Yield: one dozen donuts
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup salted caramel chips
- 1/2 cup maple flakes
- 2 medium apples, skin removed, diced into 0.5cm cubes
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
Cinnamon Sugar Dusting:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a donut pan with vegetable oil spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. In another bowl combine vegetable oil, egg, applesauce, sugar and vanilla extract. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Next fold in the salted caramel chips and maple flakes.Transfer donut batter to a large piping bag (or ziplock bag).
- In another bowl add all contents for filling and stir until apples are evenly coated in lemon juice, flour, sugar and spices.
- Using the piping bag, pipe a small layer of donut base into each donut pan mold. Sprinkle 1-2 tbsp of filling in each donut mold and top with an additional layer of piped donut base. Place in oven and bake for 12- 14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- While donuts are baking, mix ingredients for cinnamon sugar dusting. Allow donuts to cool slightly (so you are able to touch them) and roll in the cinnamon sugar while they are still warm. ENJOY!
- These donuts are best consumed fresh, I don’t recommend storing them for longer than a day. Enjoy!
Recipe & Photos by: Brittaney Berendsen, RD