White wine, mushroom and spinach risotto with white wine and thyme marinated chicken and roasted asparagus 😍.
I don’t really drink white wine (#teamredwine🍷 ) but I love to cook with it!
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 8 cups low sodium chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 227g package cremini mushrooms, washed and sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1.5 cups fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Once boiling, reduce head to medium low so broth has a very light simmer.
- In a large stock pot, add butter and warm it over medium heat until melted. Add garlic and onions, sauté until fragrant while stirring occasionally. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until they are tender and the onions are transparent. Next, add the dry arborio rice to the pot and mix well/ until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the dry white wine to the stock pot with the veggies and arborio rice and stir frequently. Once all of the white wine has been absorbed by the arborio rice, begin to add the broth 1/2 cup at a time, while stirring frequently. Ensure that you wait for the arborio rice to absorb almost all the liquid before adding the next 1/2 cup of broth. CAUTION: DO NOT add the broth all at once. Risotto becomes creamy and rich through the slow addition of liquid.
- The arborio rice should be tender but slightly chewy once all of the broth has been added and absorbed. If it is still a little crunchy, you can add additional broth or water (still 1/2 cup at a time) until the desired tenderness is achieved.
- Once the arborio rice is tender, add the parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until combined and cheese is melted. Serve with your choice of protein & veggies, top with additional parmesan cheese as desired. Enjoy!
Recipe & Photos By: Brittaney Berendsen RD