Let’s talk iron!
Iron is a mineral that is important for good health, it carries oxygen to all parts of your body and helps you from feeling tired. There are two different kinds of iron, heme and non-heme.
Heme iron is from animal sources (meat, fish, poultry etc.) and is easily absorbed by the body.
Non-heme iron is from plant sources (beans, lentils, some fruit/ vegetables) and is not as easily absorbed by the body. To help your body better absorb non-heme iron, pair your plant based foods with a source of #vitaminC (i.e. citrus juices, red peppers etc.). In Canada some grain product such as pasta and breakfast cereals are also fortified with iron.
Kale is a good source of #nonheme iron, and I paired it with a splash of lemon juice and bell peppers in this Kale and Veggie Saute for #optimalabsorption.
Yield: 4-6 side servings
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 each yellow, red, orange and green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 head red or green kale, stems removed and chopped
- Salt, pepper/ veggie seasoning to taste
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- 3 tbsp hemp hearts (I used @manitobiaharvest Chipotle, Onion and Garlic Hemp Heart Toppers)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until aromatic.
- Add peppers and mushrooms, cook until slightly tender.
- Add kale and 1/3 cup water to the pan, cover with lid until kale is wilted and water is evaporated.
- Top salt, pepper, veggie seasoning, lemon juice, lemon zest and hemp hearts. Enjoy!
Recipe & Photos By: Brittaney Berendsen RD