I know some of you are probably thinking… beans? Really Britt? You betcha! These donuts are super easy to whip up and are oh so chocolatey and delish!
I like to hide unsuspecting nutritious ingredients in my cooking/ baking…what are your favourite nutritious “secret ingredients”?
Yield: 6 donuts
- 1 cup of black beans (1/2 a can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tbsp hemp hearts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a donut pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Add all ingredients (except those for the icing and toppings) to a food processor and blend on high for about 5 minutes. Pour batter into a thick ziplock or piping bag, cut off the bottom corner and and pipe mixture into the donut pan, filling only half full. Place pan in oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Allow donuts to cool completely. Once cooled, mix together icing ingredients and dip the top half of each donut. While icing is still wet, sprinkle on toppings and allow icing to set completely. ENJOY!
- These donuts are best consumed fresh, I don’t recommend storing them for longer than a day. Enjoy!
Recipe & Photos by: Brittaney Berendsen, RD