I was craving some bright flavours to welcome spring, check out these super easy baked zesty lemon donuts! The secret ingredient…. lemon greek yogurt!
Yield: 12 donuts
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup lemon greek yogurt (I used 2% fat but you could try 4%)
- 1 egg, whisked
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1- 1.5 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon greek yogurt
- zest of one lemon
- 1-3 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a donut pan with vegetable oil spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate bowl combine lemon greek yogurt, egg, sugar, vegetable oil, lemon extract, lemon zest and lemon juice. Gently mix the wet ingredients into the try, just until combined (do not over mix). Transfer donut batter to a piping bag (or freezer ziplock bag) and cut off the bottom (or corner) so that you have a 1/2 inch hole to pipe from. Fill each donut ring half way (do not overfill!). Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted and donuts are slightly browned on edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow donuts to cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once donuts are cooled, prepare the glaze. For the glaze, start with 1 cup of the icing sugar in a large bowl and whisk in the lemon greek yogurt and lemon zest. Slowly add the lemon juice, 1 tsp at a time (do NOT add it all at once) and whisk the mixture until smooth/ you achieve a consistency similar to honey. Add additional icing sugar and lemon juice as needed to achieve the proper consistency.
- Dip one side of each donut into the glaze and allow excess to drain off briefly. Flip back glaze side up and allow glaze to set for 1-2 hours.
- These donuts are best consumed fresh, I don’t recommend storing them for longer than a day. Enjoy!
Recipe & Photos by: Brittaney Berendsen, RD