Yield: 4-6 servings
- 8 cups low sodium chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 227g package cremini mushrooms, washed and sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1.5 cups fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a large glass baking dish with vegetable oil. Place peppers cut side up in the baking dish in an even layer. Place peppers in oven and bake for 10 minutes to soften slightly.
- While peppers are cooking, bring vegetable broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and add quinoa and spices. Cook quinoa until tender and all of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit for five minutes before fluffing with a fork. Set quinoa aside.
- Mix quinoa, salsa and black beans in a large bowl. Remove peppers from oven and stuff with mixture. Return peppers to oven and bake for 25 minutes or until peppers are tender. Remove peppers from oven and top with your favorite toppings. I served these up with a cilantro lime sour cream and some cheese!
Recipe & Photos By: Brittaney Berendsen RD