This is a fairly easy recipe to whip up and uses one of my absolute fav ingredients = balsamic vinegar!
Yield:2 large salads or 4 smaller salads
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 package mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1/2 small white onion, sliced
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 4 tbsp hemp hearts ( I used @manitobaharvest Chipotle, Onion and Garlic Hemp Heart Toppers!)
- 1/2 cup shaved Asiago cheese
- 4 tbsp pine nuts
- 1/4 cup balsamic reduction/glaze
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Once heated, add onions and balsamic vinegar to pan. Cook on medium high heat until tender and caramelized. Transfer cooked onions to a separate dish and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat another 2 tbsp olive oil and add the sliced mushrooms. Cook on medium high heat until mushrooms reduce in size and are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- On 2 large plates or in 2 large bowls add the spinach and top with warm caramelized onions, mushrooms and remaining ingredients. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and season with salt/ pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Recipe & Photos By: Brittaney Berendsen RD