Check out these Festive Gingerbread Muffins- perfect for that Christmas Day brunch!
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- Turbinado sugar for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a muffin tin with papers and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together applesauce, egg, sour cream, molasses, almond milk and vanilla. Allow mixture to sit at room temp for about 10 Mins so that the coconut oil remains liquid when mixed in. Mix in melted coconut oil.
- In another bowl, mix together flours, spices and baking soda until well combined. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix just until combined.
- Divide muffin batter evenly in muffin tin. Place in oven and bake for 17- 20 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Enjoy!
Recipe & Photo by: Brittaney Berendsen RD, P.H.Ec.