I’m lovin the local Ontario zucchini that is available right now! Zoodles are a great way to incorporate some of the fresh summer squash into your cooking. You can get inexpensive spiralizers online or in large grocery/ department stores.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 lb extra lean ground Italian seasoned pork
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 30 1/2 inch cubes of mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, halved, seeds scooped out
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 medium zucchini, washed, stems removed and Spiralized
- 1.5 jars (~ 1L) basil marinara sauce, warmed
- Fresh basil for garnish
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F. In a baking dish place squash cut side down and fill with 1 inch of water. Bake for 35 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from oven, carefully drain water and allow to cool. Using a fork, scrape out flesh of squash and set aside.
- Turn broil on high. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside. Mix all ingredients for meatballs in a bowl, except for cheese. Divide into 30 meatballs and place a cube of cheese in the centre, forming the meatball around the cheese. Place on a baking sheet and broil for 10 to 12 minutes or until tops of meatballs brown and cheese begins to bubble out, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large frying pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add zucchini spirals and spaghetti squash, saute with garlic just until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble veggie noodles on a plate/ in a bowl. Top with meatballs, marinara sauce, basil and Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Photo and Recipe by: Brittaney Berendsen RD, P.H.Ec.