So this summer I’ve been growing fresh basil on my balcony and let me tell ya, there is nothing better than ultra fresh herbs! Herbs are a great way to incorporate a ton of flavour into dishes without adding extra fat or salt.
My basil plants are thriving so I used some up to make this DELISH fresh basil pesto. I used both green and purple basil in this recipe- purple basil is similar in flavour to green except it is a little less sweet. I also used fresh garlic from my community garden (seriously picked it the day I made this)!
Yield: ~1 cup of pesto
- 1.5 cups fresh basil leaves (I used a mix of purple and green basil but you can use whatever you have on hand/ can find in the grocery store)
- 2 small cloves peeled garlic
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- In a food processor, add all ingredients except olive oil. Pulse the ingredients until a coarse mixture forms.
- Turn the food processor onto low and slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. ENJOY!
Recipe and Photos by: Brittaney Berendsen RD