Summertime is the perfect time to load up on all of the fresh produce. Here in Ontario, Zucchini aka. Summer Squash is in abundance, so I am always looking for new ways to prepare it. These veggies & potatoes are SO easy and make the perfect partner for your grilled meats or meat alternatives. Fuel up this August long weekend!
Yield: 6 Side Servings
- 1lb mini potatoes, washed and eyes removed (I used a variety package with yellow flesh, but you can use whatever you prefer!)
- 1/2 head of broccoli, washed and roughly chopped into 1.5-2″ pieces
- 2 bell peppers, washed & seeds removed, cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 medium zucchini, washed, sliced into 1/2″ half moons
- 1 medium white onion, skin removed and cut into chunks
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp salt free vegetable seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
*The potatoes and broccoli are parboiled in this recipe to ensure that all of your veggies & potatoes are done cooking at the same time. I highly recommend that you don’t skip these steps or you will be left with mushy vegetables while you wait for your potatoes to cook!
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the potatoes and boil just until they are fork tender (DO NOT OVERCOOK!). Carefully drain the hot water and rinse the potatoes with cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain the cold water once potatoes are cooled.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the broccoli and 1″ of water. Microwave on high, uncovered, for 1- 1.5 mins or until broccoli is a bright green and just for tender (DO NOT OVERCOOK!). Carefully drain warm water and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain the cold water once broccoli is cooled.
- In a small bowl, gently whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and vegetable seasoning.
- In a large bowl, combine cooled potatoes, broccoli, bell peppers, zucchini and onion. Drizzle balsamic/ olive oil and spice mixture over bowl contents and gently toss to coat. Transfer mixture into an aluminum pan or reusable grill pan.
- Preheat barbeque to 350F. Place your prepared veggie/potato pan on the grill and cook uncovered for 15-25 minutes, or until the rest of your veggies are fork tender. NOTE: cooking times vary slightly depending on other items on the grill/ cut size of the vegetables. Keep a close eye on them while grilling to ensure your veggies don’t end up mushy! Remove from heat and enjoy!
- Just placed on the grill, ready to go!
- Grilled to perfection!
Recipe and Photos by: Brittaney Berendsen RD