I love super easy and flavorful side dishes! Pair this one with some lean protein and you’ve got yourself a balanced, nutritious flavour- packed meal!
Yield: 4 Side Servings
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa (any colour works)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, washed and cut into chunks
- 1 pkg sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2/3 cup herbed goat cheese
- Fresh basil
- Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, bring vegetable broth to a boil. Add quinoa and reduce heat to medium. Cover and allow quinoa to cook until tender and all of the water is absorbed. Remove quinoa from heat and allow it to sit covered for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and mushrooms and cook just until tender. Remove from heat and season with fresh basil and pepper.
- Top quinoa with vegetables and crumbled goat cheese. Garnish with additional fresh basil and cracked pepper. Enjoy!
Photo and Recipe by: Brittaney Berendsen RD, P.H.Ec.