I (Britt) made Lemon Roasted Asparagus with Tomatoes, Bacon and Feta Cheese with the fresh, #local #Ontario asparagus that I picked up at the @sickkids farmers market! I love to eat local foods when they are in season because they are at their peak flavour and freshness!
#foodfact, ever wonder why your urine smells funny after eating asparagus? Asparagus contains a sulphurous compound. When our digestive system breaks down the sulphurous compounds, the by-products released cause a strange smell- don’t worry it is harmless!
Yield: 4 side servings
- 1 bunch of asparagus, washed and bottom inch of stalk cut off
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves or quarters
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 5 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped into bits
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Spread asparagus stalks out in an even layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle with lemon juice/ zest, olive oil, salt and pepper and toss asparagus to coat. Place in oven and bake for 10- 12 minutes or just until tender (cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the asparagus stalks).
- While asparagus is still warm, top with tomatoes, feta cheese and bacon bits. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe and Photo By: Brittaney Berendsen RD