Food has the potential to fuel. Stay energized by planning nutritious snacks into your day… like this Greek inspired hummus and mini pita bread (lets be real, hummus is like Katniss, it’s better with Pita hahaha). Healthy snacking can help you to maintain your energy levels, manage your appetite and make you less hungry between meals.
Smart Snacking Tips:
Aim to include 2 food groups into your snack
Manage portion sizes by using tupperware and snack size bags
Snack when you are hungry, NOT when you are bored, tired, stressed or upset
Avoid snacking while you are distracted (i.e. reading. Working, watching TV or playing on the computer.
Yield: ~1/5 cups Hummus
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and water reserved
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp tahini paste
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 4 tbsp feta cheese
- 2 tbsp Greek Salad dressing
- Combine all ingredients for hummus in a food processor and blend on high, adding reserved chickpea water as needed to make a smooth texture. Transfer to a serving dish or container.
- Combine all of the topping ingredients in a bowl and mix. Place Greek topping on top of hummus and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with mini pita bread or veggies and enjoy!
Recipe and Photo By: Brittaney Berendsen RD, P.H.Ec.