Warm up with a comforting bowl of this Roasted Red Skin Potato and Leek Soup!
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bag (1.5lb) mini red potatoes, washed and eyes removed
- 1/2 white onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 medium bunches of leeks, washed and thinly sliced
- 900ml no salt added chicken broth
- 1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bacon bits (optional)
- Green Onions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside. Toss potatoes in half of the olive oil to coat, season with salt and pepper. Spread potatoes out in an even layer on baking sheet and place in oven. Bake for 30- 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and skin is slightly crispy. Remove from oven.
- While potatoes are roasting, heat the remaining olive oil in a large stock pot. Add garlic and white onion, saute until fragrant. Add sliced leeks and continue to saute. Once leeks have softened, add the chicken broth and simmer on medium until leeks are very tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add roasted potatoes to leek/ broth mixture and blend until smooth with an immersion blender (or allow to cool slightly and place mixture in a food processor). Stir in grated cheese, milk and sour cream. Bring to a light simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Garnish with more grated cheese, bacon and green onions if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe By: Brittaney Berendsen RD, P.H.Ec.